Now that the control panel has been designed and fitted I have begun the wiring. The steps are basically:
- Lay missing sections of track.
- Isolate rails .
- Connect sections to the control panel.
- Wire up the crossovers and connect them to the control panel.
- Add the turnout motors and connect them to the control panel.
- Add three docks to the exit points for the removable cassettes.
I have a power reading meter which I will use later in the project to test for levels. In order to isolate sections however I just needed a quick and easy method to spot that a section was isolated. I put together this grain of rice bulb with a couple of crocodile clips. Once connected to each rail I added power from the throttle. If the light did not shine then I had a short. I then used my Dremel to cut into each copper tie until the light came on at which point I knew that I had removed all shorts. It has proved a very quick simple method.
I’ll be spending the rest of the week isolating rails then I’ll be travelling to Europe and will continue on my return in mid-January.